Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Old Blue Chair

My Old Blue Chair


Another good day but a long one.
I try not to grumble and growl.
I mumble out loud that it's bedtime.
Then cover my ears from the howls.


Bedtime in our house is bedlam.
The whines and the groans quickly rise.
I chase the two bare cubs down the hallway
to the john where I lock us inside...
But in a little while...

I'll go to my old blue chair
Sink down like an old grey bear
I won't hibernate
But I'll sure meditate
on the joy when the noise disappears.
How I love the sounds I don't hear.

First it's soak-time in a warm bubble bath,
It's teeth brushed and four stories read. 
Night prayers and four drinks of water
and the hope that no one wets the bed
      And I can't forget...

Soon I'll go to my old blue chair 
Sink down like and old grey bear
I won't hesitate 
Cuz I sure appreciate,
Oh, the joy when the noise disappears.
How I love the sounds I don't Hear.

But after the dust has all settled, 
the whole house is shadowed in quiet,
I go to their beds as they're sleeping 
and stare at their facies a while...
      and I gotta smile...

So I go to old blue chair 
It's hard to be and old grey bear
My own bed awaits 
But for now I'll partake
Of the joy when the noise disappears.
How I love the sounds I don't hear.
How I love the sounds I don't hear.